Re: a point is being missed

Scott Barman (scott@Disclosure.COM)
Mon, 6 Nov 1995 10:40:36 -0500

On Sat, 4 Nov 1995, Doug Hughes wrote:

(actually, he didn't write this part but I lost the attribution!):
> >This recently drove a co-worker and I to the brink of insanity when we
> >tried statically linking "ls" for our anonymous FTP site on a Solaris
> >2.4 machine.
> >
> >Seems like Solaris won't be able to handle this then, no?

Just a quick note: According to a friend who works for Sun, this is not
"fixed."  In fact, they do not consider it a problem!  And my local Sun
rep is wondering why I am steering a client toward HP machines rather
than waiting for 2.5 or the UltraSparc (HPUX 10, to be released soon,
is supposed to be fully SVR4 compatable, which is a requirement for my
client).

> Note: this doesn't fix other problems with no version of static
> libresolv library, but this should be easy enough to get with
> the bind code and linked in, and possibly be an even better resolv
> then the one on the system to begin with.

Get the BSD-based named and port the library from that.  It took a day
for me to do, but it was worth it!!  Not only that, you get the latest
named free from any of NIS's shackles!

I think you can get a copy from ftp.cs.berkeley.edu or it might be under
Paul Vixie's directory on gatekeeper.dec.com (my preference).

>  doug@eng.auburn.edu                    Auburn University

scott barman
--
scott barman                  DISCLAIMER: I speak to anyone who will listen,
scott@disclosure.com                      and I speak only for myself.